1984 Nissan 300ZX Turbo 50th Anniversary Edition #25

6/30/22

First box of parts came in today! This is most everything, just waiting on the clutch components.

 

 

I also finally decided to set up the new parts washer and sand blasting cabinet today. Sandblasted this lower timing cover, figured while its off, it should get a fresh coat of paint.

Sandblasting is fun!

 

 

 

That’s all I’ve got today, parts should be here in a couple days, and we’ll see what that clutch will do. Maybe she’ll move on her own power!

 

1984 Nissan 300ZX Turbo 50th Anniversary Edition #24

6/29/22

While waiting for parts, I figured I could go out and start pulling off the old broken parts, Kelby decided to join. We pulled the clutch master and slave cylinders.

 

 

Kelby began disassembling the front of the engine to access the timing belt. The V belts were shredding as the engine was running, so we figured the timing belt should be replaced before we continue running the engine.

 

 

Got the fan and shrouds out of the way:

 

 

Captured a photo of this rusty washer pump. The reservoir is cracked and this pump will certainly need replacing. Also taken to mark the routing of the broken line.

 

 

Nice little parts pile developing:

 

 

A while back, I mentioned the condenser was smashed, it appears to have hit the radiator too. Its not leaking, but has quite a bend to it.

 

 

Radiator and condenser both removed from the car. The puller tool I have wouldn’t clear the radiator to get the crank pulley off. Either way the radiator needed to be pulled.

 

 

Crank pulley removed and timing belt exposed.

 

 

 

Lots of crud to clean up, and some slight rust repair:

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

1984 Nissan 300ZX Turbo 50th Anniversary Edition #23

6/27/22

After several days of not tinkering with the Z, I finally got out there with some motivation from Kelby and got to work. The day started off with high spirits of pulling the engine, and ended with lets just try to bleed the clutch. So we tried to bleed it. We were getting zero pressure from the pedal. We filled up the system, and found it was pretty crusty throughout, so we blew some compressed air through the lines and finally started seeing fluid from the slave cylinder. But the master cylinder is still shot, so off to order new parts.

1984 Nissan 300ZX Turbo 50th Anniversary Edition #22

6/15/22

I accumulated several tools and equipment during the cleanout of Grandpa’s hangar. But now my tiny shop is packed full of crap. I’ve spent the last few days trying to organize and find a home for everything. It looks much better now, but here’s where we started:

 

 

 

 

1984 Nissan 300ZX Turbo 50th Anniversary Edition #21

6/10/22

 I spent the weekend in Ohio cleaning out my late grandfather’s shop/hangar. So not much progress has been made, but today, I braved the heat and got back to it. I began by performing the previously mentioned Digital Dash Power Supply tests. Between pins 4 and 7 is expected to be ~16V, I got 0. Between pins 7 and 9 is expected to be ~28.5V, I got 0.3. All other pin tests were within proper range. Something has got to be going on within this power supply, since there is nothing else in this car that will provide more than 12 volts. I expect a capacitor of sort to be bad, however with a visual inspection, they all appear fine. I’ll need to research this further to determine if it is repairable.

After establishing that I wouldn’t be repairing the power supply today, I decided to give into my desire to run the engine and test the cooling system. Just wanted to let it get up to operating temperature and see the thermostat open properly. But I wanted to replace the clamp on the upper radiator hose, it drips slowly while running. When I removed the hose, there was some nasty stuff in there… Who knows how deep this goes…

But screw that! Lets run it! My new fancy multimeter can measure temperature as well, so I stuck the lead down into the radiator and cranked it up. The fuel injectors are still gummed up, it likes to hesitate and stumble a bit, but I got her to idle for a solid 45 minutes! No throttle blips or restarts needed. The temperature climbed up to 60 degrees Celsius and then bounced its way up to 70 when the thermostat opened and the coolant level dropped some. It never got above 71 degrees and would consistently bounce between 68 and 71. I didn’t need to add much water to the system, and the coolant that’s already in there is bright green.

Now that I’ve properly pushed my luck, and its extra hot out here, I’m calling it a day. I’ll do more research on the circuitry of the power supply and hopefully find a faulty capacitor or something.